Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Triple Irish Chain

A couple years ago I started this little quilt using a packet of batiks I got from a Road to California trip.   I made the top (minus borders) and decided I didn't like the background fabric  so I just put it 'out of sight, out of mind'.  I ran across it the other day and decided to just go ahead and finish it.   So I added the border and quilted it.  Now I like it, but I still think I'll give it to one of the Community Service projects my guild is doing.   I did a loopy free motion quilt pattern on it so I had fun doing it as a practice piece.   That's something I need desperately... practice on my Handiquilter.  

Finally finished

I finally finished my flower quilts for the office.   It was a trial and even though I love them now, it took me a long time to LIKE them while I was working on them.   I don't use fusible web very often but I thought it might be a good choice for these so I could topstitch the pieces down.  Well, my sewing machine doesn't like fusible any better than I do and it let me know all about it... with skipped stitches and knots on the back of the quilt.   Ugh... frustration!   But... I finally tried a topstitch needle and silicone on the thread and it did well enough that I could finish the project.   They are hanging in the office now and everyone loves them.   I've even had several people ask if they could buy them...   People just don't realize how much work goes into a project like that so I don't think I could even sell them for the time and effort it took to make them.   Anyway,  I'll keep them...   they look good.